LATER JMI DEFIANTS
Jennings Musical Industries: July 1967 - early 1968
The picture above is from the Vox solid state catalogue of July 1967. The amp ilustrated is actually a pre-production model - note the position of the footswitch socket. For more on prototypes and pre-production amps, see this page.
Continued from the previous page on early JMI Defiants.
General characteristics of later JMI amps
- DIMENSIONS - unchanged. Amp: 23 1/2" wide, 9 1/2" high, 11" deep. Cab: 32" wide, 21" high, 12" deep. Covers were provided for both amp and cab, the latter being extremely rare these days.
- Production of the amps on this page began in mid 1967 and ran through to early 1968.
- The form of the serial number is given as ST..xxxx. As has been mentioned, "ST" stands for "Super Twin", indicating that cab and amp are separate.
- At around serial number 1510, the plates say "AMPLIFIER" only, rather than "VOX AMPLIFIER", and have only two panels.
- Control panels are generally deep black.
- By serial no. 1300, the new-style case - lacking top fixings for the preamp - had been brought in.
- Jack sockets are black plastic rather than the metal with white ceramic surrounds of the earlier amps.
- The lettering of the logo is in gold, intially "VOX" only, then "VOX. Solid State".
- Back panels are still cloth covered and have angled corners. Post-JMI panels have square corners.
- Two indicator lamps are present - one for mains supply, one for the standby circuit. The standby lamp was done away with later.
- The schematic for the preamp remains OS/136, the power amp OS/134.
Later Defiants made in the Vox Sound Equipment Ltd era (early 1968 - late 1969) and subsequently by Vox Sound Ltd (late 1969 - c. 1972) are registered on this page. The serial numbers of those run from c.2001 - 2900.
Below, a register of surviving amps. If anyone knows of early Defiants that have not yet been included, do let me know.
Serial number 1300 - currently in the UK
Thanks to Steve for the pictures.
Serial number 1311 - currently in France
Serial number 1318 - currently in France
Serial number 1332 - currently in the USA?
Images posted on this excellent site. A v. nice amp, complete with original covers.
SOLID STATE increasingly now in the logo
Serial number 1422 - currently in the USA?
Said to be a Defiant; a Defiant flag on the front; and "Defiant" on the serial number plate. But the box is a Conqueror box.
Serial number 1440 (?) - currently in the UK
"Vox Solid State" in the logo. Condition excellent. Paired for many years with a set of PA speakers.
Serial number 1456 - currently in the USA?
Serial number unknown - currently in France
Excellent condition. "Solid State" in the logo of the cab too. Original footswitch, speakers, and cab mounting hardware.
Two-line serial number plate, titled "AMPLIFIER"
Serial number 1484 - currently in Sweden
Recently brought back to full working order. The cab, divided to form two single 12" units, still has its original Celestion drivers. Thanks to Bernt for the pics.
Serial number 1518 - currently in the USA
Power section 1711. A wonderful, pristine Defiant, complete with covers and original cables, the remains of the hang-tag visible on the mains. Thanks to Mark for the pictures.
Serial number 1535 - currently in Germany
Great condition. Paired with a Foundation Bass cab (Vox Sound Equipment Ltd) still with its chrome support. Thanks to Daniel for the pictures.
Serial number 1562 - currently in the USA
Amp and cab set. All effects in order. This entry may have to be moved below depending on format of logo and serial number plate.
Serial number 1583 - currently in the UK
The sad remains of no. 1583; a set of push buttons from a radio has been inserted as a means of switching the MRB on and off.
Serial number 1584 - currently in the UK
A good late JMI Defiant. Thanks to Steve for the pictures.
Serial number 1587 - whereabouts unknown
Serial number unknown
Old pictures. "Solid State" in the logo. "Amplifier" alone on the serial number plate.
Serial number unknown
As above, old pictures. "Solid State" in the logo. "Amplifier" alone on the serial number plate.
Serial number unknown
Again, old pictures. "Solid State" in the logo. Serial number plate lacking. A nice set.
Serial number unknown - currently in the USA
Repro serial number plate (unstamped). The cab is a later Vox Sound unit with Vox Sound Equipment Ltd drivers. Thanks to Mark for the pictures.
Serial number unknown - currently in the UK
A single pic.
On to the next page of Defiants - Vox Sound Equipment Ltd and Vox Sound Ltd.